Saturday, August 10, 2013

Desoto

So I was writing down ideas for things to do over the next forty weeks and to be honest it wasn't very compelling. So I started drifting and thinking how can I make this something special for me as well. Then my eyes drifted to my RC cars. . . . .  "make TellTale sponsor stickers for cars, no. . .  two cars. . .  Sam and Max. . . .stickers for that . . .no . . . .what did they drive it was an old car.  I wonder if they have a body for Sam & Max Desoto?

Guess what, they don't!

Then I see my kinect and think about my new scanning tools (Brekel), maybe I can find a toy, scan it then use the scan to print a body. Heck I can add Sam and Max to the model. Now this is sounding interesting.

Where to start?!?! Need  the car.

Turns out the Sam and Max car was modeled after a 1960 Chrysler Desoto. The grill is very distinct, oh and by the way in 1960 it lost the convertible options. Looks like I will be tweaking the scan more than I thought.

Do a google for that car, I'll wait. . .  I can guess that aside from some very expensive instances on ebay you will have little luck finding that model and year. Plenty of 1961 Desoto toys but they look different FYI 1961 was the last production year of the Desoto.

Luckily there are a few people who collect antique toys one of which Gasoline Ally Antiques there site is pretty old school (like 1996) but they had the toy and a phone call later I have a model on its way. I think it is still in pieces. There is no way I am going to break a 1960's toy, BUT who needs to I can scan it in and print up copies right!

So this is the Core project, build a Sam & Max Desoto. It will tie all my neat new hobbies together and give me something cool in the long run.

Now I am excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment