Thursday, August 15, 2013

Week 2 : Background

This week I'd like to talk about my background in game development. Originally I was an artist, graduating with a Bachelors in Art History.Tribes 2 introduced me to modding, not long after, the same engine, Torque, was released as tool. Torque provided me a start into the gaming industry by being Indie. At the time I was teaching Graphics Design and learning as much as I could from the Torque community. It didn't take long to realize that the engine needed modification to make the game I envisioned. So the next step was learning programming. I audited some classes at the local University and learned a lot from the community. 

My first project was Dark Horizon's Lore for Max Gaming, it was an IGF finalist in 2005. Simply being nominated was an honor, I felt like this is what I was meant to do. A year later I had joined Plastic Games, it was that year which solidified my passion for games. In the fall of 2006 Plastic Game was approached by Disney's Imagineers to build some interactive attractions. Since then we have had several contract helping make the magic for Disney.

It is ten years later, I consider myself a programmer, though in an indie company we wear many hats. I still do art when needed but my passion is in coding. Over the past few years I have filled in the engineering gaps and will be topping it off my education with a Master in Computer Science. Having studied game development my whole life I believe it is fair to say I love making games. I hope that I can contribute to TellTale's next creation.

Oh yes, an update on the Desoto, well it seems the Kinect will not provide adequate resolution to scan in the Desoto model, looks like some 3d modeling will be in order. In the meantime I have decided to build the toy model with a custom Sam & Max paint job.

The first pass of painting is pretty good.



Hope to see you in thirty nine weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment